Friday, July 10, 2009

Strange habits. And rainbows.

This post might end up being the one post that sends you away thinking "wow, what a strange gal!" But I'm okay with that because indeed, sometimes I am a strange girl. There are times I LOVE being a strange girl because it gets a laugh and I LOVE making people laugh. So here's my confession, I love rainbows and as a result I have developed some peculiar habits surrounding ROYGBIV.


Why rainbows? Because they're visually pleasing to the eye. If you line up crayons, post it's, anything really, in rainbow order, it's just easier to look at. Heck, even Apple lines up their iPod's in rainbow order on their website! Here are some of my rainbow habits:


1. The Closet. When I'm super organized (which I admit is rare) I hang all my clothing according to rainbow order. I start with whites, then pink then I run through ROYGBIV and then cap it off with black and then finally dark to light neutrals. I can't tell you how pleased I am after this is accomplished.

2. Highlighting. When I have multiple things to highlight on a single sheet of paper, I always go in rainbow order. You don't always have the full spectrum, but I stay in order as much as possible.


3. Candy eating. Why I only care about eating food in rainbow order when it's candy and not good ol' lunch, I don't know. Any sort of multi-colored candy I have to eat in rainbow order. A perfect example is M&M's. Now, I don't just tear open a bag and start fishing for reds, I've got this down to an exact process. If you don't think I'm crazy yet, you will after I explain.



Christie's guide to eating M&M's in rainbow order






Open bag.







Pour out M&M's







Start to line M&M's in columns according to color.









Continue sorting until all M&M's are in their respective color columns.






Start eating column of M&M's with largest number. Continue eating until column is equal with next largest number.





After all columns are equal, eat in rainbow order. This can be done singularly, in groups or by selecting the top M&M from each column so you are eating one of every color.






Continue eating until only one M&M is left in each color column. Finish by eating singularly or all together.




Mmm. Tasty!

4 comments:

Brenna said...

The funny thing is, I don't find this odd or strange at all. It's totally YOU. And I totally get it. :)

Anonymous said...

Christie, I completley and whole heartedly support your M&M habits. I too, eat my candy this way! But! Only when I'm bored or trying to make the bag last longer. If it's a serious chocolate attack I just dump them in my mouth!

Hugs, Megan

Anonymous said...

Founded by college student and an aspiring human resources professional, HR World Today (http://hrworldtoday.blogspot.com) is a web based Human Resources blog publication aimed at employers and employees.

Catch the latest buzz in the field of Human Resources via email at http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=HRWorldToday&loc=en_US

Krista said...

Do you remember the days before the blue M&M's? It was so hard to make a pretty rainbow out of them. Light brown? pbbft. Blue was a nice replacement :)