Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ear plugs

There are some days that I really wish I would invest in a pair of ear plugs. I'd carry them in my purse because there are so many times a day I could use them!

Do you ever go into sensory overload? I do. I don't know that it's really a sensory overload but more of a sound overload. It happens to me when there are so many sounds my brain is trying to process that I start to go nuts. It doesn't happen very often but when it does, I absolutely hate it. It happened today.

I was at work where our office walls are pretty thin and you can usually hear a conversation next door, especially if folks are laughing. Well I've already got a jaw ache (cavity fillings yesterday, ugh!) and so my sensitivity is heightened. There were three people chatting in one office next to me, what sounded like two people in the office on the other side and at least four people talking loudly and laughing down the hall. Now I'm not saying that casual conversation doesn't belong in the work place. It does. It's to no fault of the people talking, I'm just a bit cranky and my brain was trying to process every voice all at once. Couple that with hearing the phone ring and doors opening and closing and printer's printing. Yikes. My head almost exploded.

So on my next shopping trip, I'll once again debate on whether or not to buy some ear plugs. If you see me wearing them, take no personal offense.

1 comment:

Brenna said...

Well, I suppose it was a little like sound overload in the dressing room... the monitor, my iPod, young girls talking and laughing at the top of their lungs. :/