Monday, May 11, 2009

The Simpsons, Frank Sinatra, the U.S. flag and Edgar Allen Poe

What do these four have in common? In the present or some time in the past, these four have all been featured on a United States Postal Service stamp. That didn't even cross your mind, did it? Here's my beef with the postal service and it has nothing to do with their service. As a friend of mine pointed out, they do a heck of a job delivering a letter from NY to CA for only 42, scratch that, 44 cents.

I'm not really that agitated about the price increase. They need to make money, I get it. What I'm irked about are the stamp designs. Please don't think I'm unpatriotic but I'm incredibly bored with the the Liberty Bell and the U.S. flag. I've always thought of stamps as the accessory on an envelope. Just like a pair of diamond studs says classy and sophisticated to an outfit, a U.S. flag says here's my money Westar, thanks for the electricity. Boring! Although I must admit that the newest flag design is a vast improvement over the past few.

Instead of issuing a set of stamps that contains brightly colored flowers or a stain glass window design, they issue this, this, and Lord help us, this!


I have no desire to put cartoon characters with electric solid backgrounds on my neatly addressed, pretty envelope. The Olympics have been over for some time now, and Mr. Poe would necessitate for me to address my envelope with my left hand to make his creepy portrait stamp work.
I don't think I'm asking for too much. A cheery, relevant stamp. Alas, I've decided to purchase the newest "love" stamp, the King and Queen of Hearts. It's the best out of the bunch.
I'm begging the stamp designers out there, please, no more Edgar Allen Poe!

1 comment:

Wedding Stamps said...

You're right, they do seem to keep using those same themes over and over through the years. Well, I guess they are iconic. Thanks to the deluge of custom postage these days, you can create or personalize just about anything you want so get out there and be creative!