Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I want a typewriter

Okay, maybe I don't but I definitely don't want to see another copier/printer for several days. This post is not about something I love, rather something I loathe after last Friday at work. I must begin by saying that the Canon 2230 printer/copier was very nice to me Thursday and early Friday morning. Here I am trying to print out 85 benefit books that are 75 pages each for our employee benefit meetings on Monday and it had printed 65 for me as of Friday morning. Things were going smoothly until around 11:45 when I checked the printer tray to make sure enough paper was loaded so I could continue printing while I was at lunch. It was full. I was going to be able to make progress while at lunch and just have a hand full of books to print when I returned from lunch. Then, the patron saint of copier/printers decided to pull a fast one on me. It decided that the printer was going to start pulling paper from a different tray, thus my pages were printing incorrectly. That wasn't all. It also decided to stop printing double-sided pages. Remember how I said the book was 75 pages long? Yeah, well I'm an environmentally conscious gal...I print double sided!


Needless to say, the last few minutes before my lunch and a good 45 minutes after lunch were spent sifting through menu options, trying to convince the printer my paper was not rotated in a landscape format and opening numerous trap doors in an attempt to recover phantom papers that were supposedly jamming the printer.



Now I know that you're concerned about whether or not I was able to get those last 20 books printed. I decided to give up for the weekend and attempt again Monday morning. Sure enough, that printer sat there lonely all weekend. Sometimes you just have to put printers in their place. I refuse to be someone who is beaten down by technology.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I had a "PC Load Letter" kind of day too. BTW, I live in Springfield, MO now as an accountant for a trash company. Long story. Not really, but I'll catch you up via e-mail. Don't let those printers bully you around... they think they run shit, but they're wrong. Today mine said, "check cables," when no one had touched the damned thing. I turned it off and back on, just to remind it who's the f-ing boss.

Anonymous said...

We finally got a new copier at work last Friday...it is better than Christmas! For over a year, I had been the go to on how to fix the copier and "it was driving me nuts!" For the love people, it jams in the same spot EVERY TIME. And it shows you on the screen where the jams are. Also, instead of asking nicely for me to come over and help them, they'd stand in front of the machine and sigh loudly and slam the doors over and over and over and over again until I finally got tired of waiting it out and fixed it for them. I have so many copier horror stories for you.

Anonymous said...

my copier at work has evil tendencies as well. it seems to always wants to print my stuff on pink paper, which is not appreciated!