Friday, October 3, 2008

I'll have the apple cake, buttermilk pancake and pie crust...

recipe that is! Lately I have been obsessed with collecting recipes. Am I an avid baker/cook? Nope. But I aspire to be one. I come from a maternal line of old fashioned home cookin'. I have no doubt that Grandma Kranz (mom's mom) could run any bakery or catering business with her own recipes. The woman rivals Martha! Of course I don't let her experience go to waste so I call her from time to time just to get a copy of that recipe that makes me feel like I'm seven years old spending a week of summer on the farm. Lately I've also taken to scouring numerous web sites for recipes. The internet offers endless possibilities when it comes to recipe hunting. I'd like to say I have a fantastic database of recipes stored on my laptop at home but if I'm going to advocate for cooking and baking from scratch how dare I not utilize the under appreciated recipe card/recipe box method?




Well this week I've taken a new interest in my recipe collection. And even though I might not have the time to make that gourmet meal and dessert from scratch yet, I'll have the recipe on hand when the time comes. I am quite addicted to receiving compliments on my cooking and baking. And yes, there is a difference between cooking and baking. God and genetics willing, I should turn out to be one hell of a cook and baker extraordinaire! If you don't believe me, just try one of my chocolate chip oatmeal cookies or one of my meatballs. If you ask nicely, I might share the family recipe. Cooking with recipe cards handed down in the family, LOVE it.

No comments: