Monday, September 29, 2008

Feel the burn!

Now there are times when I honestly don't mind "feelin' the burn." The first day you lay out at the pool you want to feel the burn, just so people can tell you spent the day outside. Or how about when you're hitting the stationary bike for an extra 15 minutes because of the cheeseburger you ate at lunch. Those are (for the most part) a good type of burn. Well the burn that I'm talking about today has nothing positive about it. I'm talkin' about freezer burn. That's right. That frosty little attachment to the last of grandma's homemade chocolate chip cookies that have spent one month too many in your freezer. I have to admit that I usually brush off the ice crystals and cook/eat my food as normal. Not the case a week ago. I found one single chicken patty left in the freezer and thought I'd found a hit for lunch. Not so much. One bite into that tasty looking chicken sandwich and I tasted something that I can only describe as frozen mold. It was AWFUL! It was at that very moment that I truly learned of the destruction freezer burn can impose on an innocent lunch item. I thought I knew what freezer burn tasted like but wow, I learned something that day. So folks, I advise you to go out of your way to protect your food from the evil, nasty, flavor zapping terror of freezer burn! It'll save your taste buds (and gag reflex) a whole lot of trouble!

No comments: